NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Military Sites
Reload this Page RAF Speke - Liverpool - Dec 2010
Military Sites Bunkers, Pillboxes, Forts, Airfields and all ROC & cold war related stuff goes here.

RAF Speke - Liverpool - Dec 2010
(#1)
Old

Arrow RAF Speke - Liverpool - Dec 2010 - 29-12-2010, 18:21

After visiting this place with georgie & Kevsy21 resently I felt I should post this.

RAF Speke:
Living only a matter of 2 miles from Speke I have made enquiries and found out the following. Speke Airport was requistioned by the Ministry of War in Sptember 1939 and named R.A.F. Speke. It was occupied by 24 Hampdens of 64 & 144 Squadrons at the end of September, it remained in R.A.F Control until the 10th July 1944, when it was handed over to the control of the Directorate of Civil Aviation although a Military presence was kept their until May 10th 1946 with the departure of the Spitfires of 811 Squadsron to nearby Woodvale. in the 1950's Air Works had a maintenance base at Speke overhauling Vampires and Sabres for the R.A.F and NATO, so tecnically the Military pulled out of Speke in the 1950's. The Government kept control of Speke until January 1961 when it was handed back to Liverpool Corporation.

Shooting-butt.

Stray Bullets.

Thanks for viewing.
(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 29-12-2010, 21:52

That's a nice looking little hangar, liking the bullet holes as well!
(#3)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Default 30-12-2010, 15:30

Worth a look. Thanks for sharing.

photos here too
(#4)
Old

Default 24-01-2011, 23:37

really good mooch i need to find the bunker up in the back couldnt get a good luck round in some trainers and boggy ground
(#5)
Old

Default 18-11-2011, 18:41

The 'Little Hanger', is as already mentioned elsewhere on the forum, the Butt end of the range. It was used for harmonising and testing of the guns fitted to numerous aircraft assembled at Speke. At the rear is a large (about 30'tall by about 60' wide), welded armour plate shield. This is about 6" thick! It has evidence of some heavy calibre strikes on the face of it, as well as the stray rounds that appear to have struck the brick facing on the sides and the holes in the remaing corrugated roof. Guessing here, but the strikes on the armour plate vary from .303 calibre machine gun up to possibly 40mm cannon. The strikes on the brick facing would appear to be .303, although I cannot definatively say this is correct. Given the history of aircraft assembled here it is a fair assumption I think. Hope this is helpful.
(#6)
Old

Default 18-11-2011, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The 'Little Hanger', is as already mentioned elsewhere on the forum, the Butt end of the range. It was used for harmonising and testing of the guns fitted to numerous aircraft assembled at Speke. At the rear is a large (about 30'tall by about 60' wide), welded armour plate shield. This is about 6" thick! It has evidence of some heavy calibre strikes on the face of it, as well as the stray rounds that appear to have struck the brick facing on the sides and the holes in the remaing corrugated roof. Guessing here, but the strikes on the armour plate vary from .303 calibre machine gun up to possibly 40mm cannon. The strikes on the brick facing would appear to be .303, although I cannot definatively say this is correct. Given the history of aircraft assembled here it is a fair assumption I think. Hope this is helpful.
This is a great help you defiantly now your stuff thanks.