NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: The Dominoes August 2009
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: The Dominoes August 2009
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Arrow ARCHIVE: The Dominoes August 2009 - 16-08-2009, 21:47

I suppose every thread in high places should really start with it's not exactly Blackpool tower !, so here goes.
Its not exactly Blackpool tower but never the less its been an adrenalin fueled afternoon conquering the dominoes.
It must be well over 25 years since i first encountered these brick pillars, once a magnificent railway bridge which joined the line running across Standish viaduct, thanks to good old Dr Beeching both lines were closed & the bridges left to rot, for some reason this particular bridge had its span removed.
After Big jobs, Over & Andyj wet our appetite last November with an abseil off Standish viaduct, me & Morrisey have been hatching a plan to conquer these structures known locally as the dominoes.
After a good 1/2 hour of clearing the area, Morrisey set about casting a golf ball attached to 30lb fishing line over the pillar, about 30 cast later EUREKA!! the golf ball sailed majestically over the pillar in exactly the right place.
First we pulled a throwing line over then pulled the 2 static ropes over tied off onto some study trees.
After doing the initial climb I carpeted the corners put the kettle on then waited for Morrisey to join me for a civilised cup of tea.
A great afternoon that will definitely be repeated as we've left the carpet & fishing line in place.
Oh by the way we measured it, 70' 9"

Gone fishing

BRAPPO!!!!!!!

We came down a bit faster than this dude
(#2)
Old
Administrator

Default 16-08-2009, 22:07

Extreme tea drinking FTW!! Two sugars for me though next time please.

Bit of history:
The LUR built the "Whelley Loop Line", that bypassed Wigan to the east. It opened in 1869, mainly for freight. Stations at Whelley and Amberswood were open for only three months between 1 January and 1 March 1872. Additional connections were made to the NUR's west coast main line north and south of Wigan in 1882 and 1886 respectively, and to other lines radiating from Wigan, thus allowing many trains to bypass Wigan
In 1968. The Chorley-to-Wigan line also closed to passengers in 1960, and to goods on 25 May 1971.
This is all that is left of the bridge on the “loop line” were it crossed over 70ft above the Douglas valley at Standish

Oil starts his ascent

hmmm, look at all those lovely bricks!

20 arches

Down we go.

Egregious!
Closed Thread