NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page Manchester Rooftopping, Nov 2010
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

Manchester Rooftopping, Nov 2010
(#1)
Old

Default Manchester Rooftopping, Nov 2010 - 12-01-2011, 15:28

Thought that it was about time I put this one up.

After much deliberation, I had decided finally spend a night of my time roof topping. After getting in touch with Ed, the hotel and train tickets were now booked. In typical Ed style he was about 30 minutes late at the rendezvous point, turning up with Carabeener and NickUK in tow. The night started with a kebab and an explore at Sarah Point. With the only incident on the way in being Carabeener falling head first over the fence, we were in and straight to the top floor. After getting rained on for a short while, the group made the decision to head down to the lower floors for some photographs.

After Sarah Point, I was getting into the whole roof topping, and was well up for another explore. Although Gorillaz were playing at the MEN on this night in question, we decided to take the risk and head over to the roof of the MEN. Once up, photography and long exposure shots were near impossible due to the Bass coming from below. Still managed to get a few between songs

NickT then joined the group for more late night exploring antics. He had another roof top for us to do, that was new for all of us, and this one was going to be the highest of the night. After gaining access with NickT's Ninja skills we were on to the roof. There was an unprotected drop on all four sides of the building, but the view was intense.

Finally, it was time for the last explore of the night, and the main reason that I came to Manchester. A Saturday night when the streets are packed with pub goers was probably not the best time to do this one, but the time had come for the Origin cranes. NickT and NickUK took one crane and Edus1 and I took the other. Carabeener had decided that the only craning he wanted to do was of his neck, so he stayed below. The weather was getting fairly bad by this point, so it was hard to get any good shots. With a renegade gust of wind hitting both cranes and leaving them swinging precariously, the decision was made to head down.

All in all, I've had many a night out drinking in Manchester, but this was a night out of a different sort. I walked back to the hotel feeling like i was still on those roof tops. Big thanks to Edus1,Carabeener, NickT and Nickuk for a fantastic night and an introduction to Roof topping.
(#2)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 12-01-2011, 15:31

Very nice shots there man.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#3)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 15:35

It's nice to see people still getting about in Manc, Respect man!
(#4)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 15:37

Rather you than me, rooftops yes cranes no no no!
Greats shots tho mate, nice one

Believing in a better world, where chickens can cross the road without there motives being questioned
(#5)
Old
Blackinese

Default 12-01-2011, 15:50

Always love seeing the Origin cranes being done.

They should be impossible because of their location and being surrounded by passers-by.

Nice work.

Smoke dope. Worship Satan.
My Manchester
(#6)
Old
admin

Default 12-01-2011, 15:56

Great stuff!

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
(#7)
Old
admin

Default 12-01-2011, 15:57

Don't fall off a crane and die

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
(#8)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 16:29

Cheers guys.

No, falling off a crane is never a good thing to do whilst exploring. The height didn't bother me as much as I thought it was going to either. Was a really good explore, makes a difference from exploring caves and mines and I'm really getting into it.
(#9)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 17:19

Nice pics dude

Was a good night shame the wind ended the craning early but it was getting a bit sketchy lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
(#10)
Old

Default 12-01-2011, 18:35

We were both feeling fairly seasick and the rain was making photography hard. Just looking forward to doing the rest of the cranes now