Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Honeymoon in New York
Rest of the World Sites outside the UK.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Honeymoon in New York
(#1)
Old
DarkRose

Arrow ARCHIVE: Honeymoon in New York - 12-11-2008, 13:13

Having rejected my suggestion of a honeymoon in Pripyat, my husband and I agreed on New York. Not somewhere that made UE spring to mind at first, but then I did my research...

And so went here:

What light through yonder window shines (you see it WAS romantic!)

Doorway

Down the stairs

Upstairs they have let the place go a bit

A lot really

Nature is claiming back her own

The roof of the man-made structure gives way to the unbeatable forces of nature, notably ivy:

Until in places, this is all that is left

Whoever said romance was dead?!
(#2)
Old
DarkRose

Default 12-11-2008, 13:47

It's on Staten Island (look up "Sea View" or "Farm Colony" if you're interested).
There's A LOT around the area.
I mean miles and miles of abandoned treasure, comprising the current and old Sea View hospital facilities and an old poorhouse and it's huge complex and farm colony.
It's been empty in the main since '75 hence the state of what's in the pictures.
I could have spent four days wandering around in there. But given we were only there for 6, I was happy to get in and back out again uninjured and more importantly without arrest or deportation, after half a day's wandering.
(#3)
Old
DarkRose

Default 12-11-2008, 15:25

Thank you!
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be everyone's idea of a good time, but I loved it.

I tried to go urbex-easy seeing as honeymoons are intended for other interests as well

but we did also manage to get here:

It's an old smallpox hospital, by quite a preeminent New York architect, James Renwick Jr., (hence it's colloquially known as the 'Renwick Ruin').
Built on a small island off Manhattan, it provided isolation from contagious diseases, shelter for the poor and once housed the mentally insane.

It would have been a good explore once, but it's better known and (happily) by the looks of it under some sort of repair or reconstruction now.

Roosevelt Island is well worth a visit for anyone who's in New York and likes a bit of history or abandonment though.

For now though it's back to the devastation of evenings too dark to explore much and having to wait for free weekends (Whittingham, I'm looking at you again here)

Closed Thread