NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Underground
Reload this Page Force Crag mine - Aug 10
Underground Sewers, Culverts, Caves, Mines & Air raid shelters etc.

Force Crag mine - Aug 10
(#1)
Old

Default Force Crag mine - Aug 10 - 01-09-2010, 23:35

Visted with buddah and a friend.

With a trip planned to Penrith for non-social reasons.. we thought we'd take the opportunity to explore this mine. None of us had done a true mine before, the most underground we had done being Crank Caverns.

Armed with a plan of the mine, as many torches as we could carry and our trusty back packs, we parked up and set off on the long hike up the hill towards the mine.

A quick scout around and we found an adit, surprisingly easy to find actually, and it seemed to have been left uncovered by previous visitors. We were to later find out that the previous explorers were still in there!

As we had no climbing gear we planned to just get as far as we could safely, without any major climbs up or down. We were drenched immediately after getting in, we knew it would be wet but I werent expecting a fast flowing torrent through the mine! I did find that due to the amount of water in there, the camera didnt come out as much as I wouldve hoped.

Was a good explore, there was a really good vibe in there and the bits that were a slight stoop and crawl quickly opened up into cavernous areas every now and again.

We followed the mine in, scrambled up the la porte incline and eventually came to a set of old metal ladders that looked way too unsafe for our liking, signalling the time to turn back.

Back in the fresh air, and out to the wonderful views of the area, we hiked back towards the cars. Quick change into some dry clothes and in to the pub for a swift pint.

I wont go into the history of the mine, as the copycat has explained a lot here..

I lost my trusty 4 cell Maglite here! It fell down the drop under the wooden floor!

One of those 'dont look at the camera' type shots
(#2)
Old
AKA Professor Brian Cox

Default 01-09-2010, 23:58

And if it is the hole we were "testing" that you dropped your maglight, it is a loooong way down!
(#3)
Old
Still not ready for Titan

Default 01-09-2010, 23:59

Nice one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blino View Post
eventually came to a set of old metal ladders that looked way too unsafe for our liking, signalling the time to turn back.
We went up there - those ladders were quite good in comparison to some later on! Did you see all the bang on the side below those ladders where the winch was?

All this country is hollow. Could you strike it with some gigantic hammer it would boom like a drum - Arthur Conan Doyle
(#4)
Old
Administrator

Default 02-09-2010, 00:27

Nice one guys, pity we missed you, you could have joined us on the through trip
(#5)
Old
Howfen lot

Default 02-09-2010, 09:29

yeah loved this place it was a quality little mooch.

yeah i cant believe we didnt bump into or hear the other group that was in here. It would of bin funny sticking my head through a hole or looking around with the torch and then just catch a glimps of someone staring back at me.

oh and the hole that blinos torch fell down must of bin deep it seem to just keep falling for a long time.

smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast
(#6)
Old
Administrator

Default 02-09-2010, 18:44

Well done lads. Was that your half arsed attempt to cover the adit with a few twigs? Because when we came back down to cover it over, thats how we found it. If you had still been in after we had covered it over you would have needed a sledgehammer to get out.

Egregious!
(#7)
Old

Default 02-09-2010, 19:43

Ha, I guess it was! We werent sure how the hell it was meant to be covered, obviously without seeing it before hand! There seemed to be nothing to cover it up with!

Yeah I thought after we got out that it was a good job someone didnt block us in!
(#8)
Old

Default 02-09-2010, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
We went up there - those ladders were quite good in comparison to some later on...
You mean the 'rope type' metal ladders?? They lookd way too dodgy for my liking! Kudos Twitch! Might have to give them a go on a return visit then!

So where did you guys come out?
(#9)
Old
Still not ready for Titan

Default 02-09-2010, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blino View Post
We went up the assortment of old metal/wooden ladders/pipes that went up above where you were standing to take this pic. It got less straightforward beyond here and wasn't easy to find the route with some interesting climbs! Morrisey is your man to explain the route really.

All this country is hollow. Could you strike it with some gigantic hammer it would boom like a drum - Arthur Conan Doyle
(#10)
Old
UE Addict

Default 02-09-2010, 20:40

Looks like we've all been having a cracking time at Force Crag this summer! would've been a tad awkward if we were all there at the same time!!!!

Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance