NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Heritage and non Urbex
Reload this Page Snowdon Via Crib Goch
Heritage and non Urbex Non urbex related reports and places,
but still interesting and photogenic nonetheless!

Closed Thread

Snowdon Via Crib Goch
(#1)
Old
Super Moderator

Arrow Snowdon Via Crib Goch - 14-08-2009, 00:47

when this was mentioned i was all up for it....however when we got to pen-y-pass car park and looked up at crib i started to change my mind.
the decision was going to be made at the crossroads of the pyg track and the path up to the goch...to carry on and do crib goch

at the crossroads looking up it was a totally different story really calm weather at on the ground and really bad weather up on the goch
the clouds was just blowing past like there was a a storm going on up there you couldnt even see the start of it ,it was that bad....being advised not to do this in high winds or the wet....the decision was made to go for it

so after another trek to the base of crib we slowly climbed...now this says on the snowdon website its a grade 1 scramble...fuck me it was a grade 1 climb it was just sheer and we had to climb it to reach the start of crib...now i was shittin it....

lucky for us a guy came up behind us with his missus (turns out to be one of the mountain rescue ) and he guided us up onto the start of crib.(we met up with him at the cafe some while later)

to cut it short this was amazing in the cloud and very windy but one slip off here and your a gonner so we kept having to cling onto the rocks everytime the wind got a bit naughty....made it across after what seemed like hours...and was very pleased to see the new cafe that was just built..wasnt open at the time but just glad to be on flat land....top day

a quote from the website.....

Crib Goch is a knife-edged arête in the Snowdonia National Park in Gwynedd, Wales.

The highest point on the arête is 923 m above sea level. A path leads over the arête and three rock-pinnacles to a grassy col at Bwlch Coch. This first part of the ridge is very exposed and serious, having resulted in several fatalities, even of experienced mountaineers, the Snowdonia National Park Authority describe it as "not a mountain for the inexperienced" Moreover, on fine days the ridge may be very busy and queues can form. To avoid the long queues on the ascent from the east, it is possible to ascend Crib Goch's North Ridge, which adjoins the main ridge.

this first pic gives you an idea on the hieght to climb before you actually start

the start of this thing...

we was blessed by a break in the clouds to see this (the pinnacles)

(#2)
Old

Default 14-08-2009, 01:05

1085 meters! Well done, I'd love to climb a mountain one day.
(#3)
Old
cool as cobs.

Default 14-08-2009, 01:35

Christ, that's grim. But excellent!

Me Flickr | Ma webshite
"The worse outcome would be it turning into a 450D - my groaning "noooooooo" will echo over Manchester, causing cotton spinning oasis lovers to spit out their chip barm's." - Thompski 2009
(#4)
Old
Still not ready for Titan

Default 14-08-2009, 02:32

That looks so much fun! And queues on a mountain? How British..

All this country is hollow. Could you strike it with some gigantic hammer it would boom like a drum - Arthur Conan Doyle
(#5)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 14-08-2009, 09:28

It's a great trip! Me and one of my best mates did this in winter as training for bigger things in scotland a few years back. The conditions were bad and we we're fully equipped, but you still had people on the approach in trainers... you told them to head back and just got abuse until my 6'7" friend got aggressive which sent them back to the car park.

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#6)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 14-08-2009, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkUK View Post
You get underprepared idiots on every mountain and hill in the country..... shocking really, I'd leave them there if I was MRT, or push them off myself.
Go for the push them off option... I hate tourists lol

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 15-08-2009, 00:05

seen some twat on the top of scafell last weekend with trainers and trackie bottoms on and just a t-shirt...wtf
(#8)
Old
Romanian1

Default 15-08-2009, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
seen some twat on the top of scafell last weekend with trainers and trackie bottoms on and just a t-shirt...wtf
Its a long and slippery (as in pipe and slippery and big beard) slope once you start getting on your high horse about other peoples attire whilst hiking or walking.
(#9)
Old
cool as cobs.

Default 15-08-2009, 12:17

I've no high horse about it, and I possess all the qualities you describe. However, it is excellent to laugh at people without at least boots.

Saying that, I once did Snowdon in Converse. It was only the Llanberis path, but it wasn't that bad. I'd be more amused if someone was to go hiking in brogues.

Me Flickr | Ma webshite
"The worse outcome would be it turning into a 450D - my groaning "noooooooo" will echo over Manchester, causing cotton spinning oasis lovers to spit out their chip barm's." - Thompski 2009
(#10)
Old
Junglist

Default 15-08-2009, 14:29

Top one mate I want a go at this it looks intense.

M38 REP
Closed Thread