NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page Archive Latchford Railway Viaduct. 28th April 2009
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

Closed Thread

Archive Latchford Railway Viaduct. 28th April 2009
(#1)
Old

Default Archive Latchford Railway Viaduct. 28th April 2009 - 28-04-2009, 23:39

The Latchford Railway Viaduct linked the Stockport to Warrington line over the Manchester Ship Canal! It is 250 feet long and weighs over 1200 tonnes!
It was first opened in July 1893 and closed to passengers in 1962 but carried freight right up to 1985.
The original lines are still there, as are some of the short sections that linked it to the main network. They are severed by a few metres in order to allow high fences to segregate it from the public – or people like us!
Unlike the Cadishead bridge – I managed to get onto this one but was a bit freaked by the thin sheets of rusting metal that you had to walk on. Of course I clocked this when I was halfway across but gingerly made my way back.

Another great feat of Victorian engineering that wasn’t closed due to wear and tear after nearly a century of use, but merely made redundant by modern track routes.

Apologies for the quality, but it was very dull and night was beginning to fall.

The bridge in all it’s glory.

The Barrier! I didn’t get to the other end due to lack of light.

A corroded sign.

End of the line!

Looking down through a hole in the deck. Long way down!

Me!

(#2)
Old
All Hail Canons

Default 29-04-2009, 11:12

Nice to see other people have done this.. Been several times before so heres some pictures.

Lovely... There are cut outs like this all over the bridge. Stamp on em and you will go straight through

This pipe runs along the stretch of the bridge and is wise to stick to as the bridge gradually degrades.

Black and white of a large stretch of the bridge. Just trying to give it a more cold abandoned atmosphere I guess...

This was from the time with the heavy snowfall. Took advantage of this.

Last but not least when the snow came down. Took a picture back up the tracks.

The bridge is quite a cheerful explore though getting access is tough for climbing noobs.
Closed Thread