NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Leyland Ammunition Store - July 09
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Leyland Ammunition Store - July 09
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Arrow ARCHIVE: Leyland Ammunition Store - July 09 - 23-07-2009, 18:11

Bit of a mad one this, and not normally necessary to post as Deeper, but you’ll see what unfolded. This happened yesterday, before I had slunk into Horwich Locomotive Works, but I was so blown away by Horwich, I posted that first.

Again, following ROF leads in the Chorley area I saw this reported on 28DL, here, there’s a bit of discussion about the site, but I wonder if it could just have been a strategically placed site rather than necessarily related to the ROF. The ROF must have had tonnes of munitions on site and had its own railway line, so I am not sure of the relationship. I’d be happy to hear from those who know more.

I only visited a few of the buildings, mostly those that were in fields of sheep, rather than fields of cows and a bull (especially after recent reports, including David Blunkett!). They all seem to be of the same design. I had bumped into a couple of lads who were cutting the grass using a tractor and asked for permission to have a mooch and they were happy to let me proceed. I think they rent the land.

This type of concrete gate post seems to be typical of these sites.

A stack of rotting railway sleepers. You could see slight depressions across the site where the railway had run between buildings.

Entrance.

Store

One of few remaining original doors.

Looking back from within the bunded enclosure.

Inside, I couldn’t photograph the smell!

Top one, a ladder. The roof wasn’t much to behold, nor could you see out of the individual sites as the trees had grown on the head of the bund.

Dodgy connection. I only shot this as I thought it ‘dodgy ladder’ might be the highlight of the explore, little did I know…

View from roof

I then crossed to a second store and between the two caught a glimpse of what looked like Police. The site is behind Wymott Prison and I thought my car may have attracted the attention of the local fuzz. I thought, “they can wait” and proceeded to the next store for these two photos.

Casement with orginal wired glass remaining.

The only actual tracks I noticed.

So, I turned out of the bund and into the open field and was immediately shouted at by the Police, about 200 yards away at a gate. “Armed Police. Put it down, put your hands on your head and walk towards us”, “Whaaa-at”, I’m thinking, “Put it down, NOW!” So, I put my tripod with camera still attached on the ground, hands on head and walked towards the cops, smiling and acting as calm as possible. They figured out it wasn’t me they were after when I was within about 50 yards. “Have you been shooting?” the nearest one asked, “only pictures of buildings”, I replied. They asked what I was doing and what I had put on the ground, one of them walked with me to pick up my camera. He explained that there was a report of a poacher nearby, I jokingly suggested that they thought I was planning a prison bust. He didn’t laugh. I guess they take any report of a gunman close to a Category A prison pretty seriously.

Now I had my camera, still mounted on the tripod, I thought it rude not to pop off a few shots…

Back over the gate after collecting camera.

Hmmm. Quite serious then?

They were understandably twitchy, I think they had definitely grasped what it meant to be in charge of a firearm and very aware of their power and responsibility. They were having a bit of trouble with the radio, calling out the helicopter, which arrived before I left.

They took my details, but I suspect they had already done a PNC check on my car and were simply joining the dots. I left, slightly bewildered, but with a good tale.

peace
NMB

photos here too
Closed Thread