NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Heritage and non Urbex
Reload this Page Old Man of Coniston - To the summit
Heritage and non Urbex Non urbex related reports and places,
but still interesting and photogenic nonetheless!

Closed Thread

Old Man of Coniston - To the summit
(#1)
Old
Junglist

Arrow Old Man of Coniston - To the summit - 13-08-2009, 20:33

Decided to go for a mooch up to the lakes for a mission up The Old Man. Great day well recomended, top climb and a good mooch around up top.

The climb up was interesting, the place is littered with huge slate slag heaps, stacked brick sheds, etc, and also haulage wiring, I assume from the layout the carts of slate were transported through the air along the cable system to the bottom? Also found some adits on the way up, Had my head torch but no helmet...so I didnt bother venturing inside..........

Views were absolutely amazing, when we got to the top though, we ere just in the cloud level, so we couldnt see much. It was windy as hell and the clouds were just rushing past, we could see mist developing too as the air blew over the tops and down into the valley. Brilliant viewing all round. Took us about an hour to reach the summit, pretty nackered up top. Even took the old stone up and whacked it on the very top of the huge pile at the summit

We then walked round to dow crag at the top then back down and under the massive rock walls. There were two people climbing on the wall as we went past, they were about a quarter of the way up, no ropes either lol. You could hardly see them though, gives you a good idea of how massive this thing was. Got a photo of it, see if you can clock the guys climbing.

After the mooch and decent, we arrived back at the car about 5.30pm I think. Proper top day.

Info:
The Old Man of Coniston is a fell in the Furness Fells in the English Lake District. It is 803 m (2,635 ft) high, and lies to the west of the village of Coniston and the lake of the same name, Coniston Water. The fell is sometimes known by the alternate name of Coniston Old Man, or simply The Old Man

Here we go

Cables and adit

Nice view, and Bob moochin up after leaving his bottle of water about 2 mins back down a steep section. LOL

Me on the edge!

IM IN TEH CLOUDSSS!!!

Summit, oooohhhh yes. Win

Now, Im sitting there, having a breather, nackered from the trek up, whip out a ham barmcake and turn around to see this thing! Yes, I did really proper shit myself when I saw this badboy walking over towards me, Im lookin about like what the f*ck! No one else except bob in sight, then as it walked past clocked a small blue collar on it. Lol
Check its eyes out though, haha, shit man this is some badman evil wolf dog, cool blue eyes.

We then went along the top to see some other views and make our way round and then down.

Bob C, on the edge

Me

Breathtaking

Can a get a...!

Temptation

Like I said, these were MASSIVE. there are two people climbing it, they are in the middle to the left of the V crack up the rock, about a quarter the way up

Top day!

M38 REP
(#2)
Old
bricks not braps

Default 13-08-2009, 20:35

Quality up there nice work.
(#3)
Old
cool as cobs.

Default 13-08-2009, 20:36

Nice one mate. The Old Man is a very nice place for fell walking.

Me Flickr | Ma webshite
"The worse outcome would be it turning into a 450D - my groaning "noooooooo" will echo over Manchester, causing cotton spinning oasis lovers to spit out their chip barm's." - Thompski 2009
(#4)
Old

Default 13-08-2009, 22:08

Looks fun. Well done.
(#5)
Old
Administrator

Default 13-08-2009, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneak View Post

Top day!
Is the guy to the right of the photo eating fish & chips? You obviously did'nt eat that magic or you would still be up there in the clouds!

Egregious!
(#6)
Old
I hear voices in the dark

Default 13-08-2009, 23:31

Took my daughter up here a few years back when she was 5 (she ran directly up the zig zag instead of the path - mental - and then ran down the scramble on the horse shoe), she loved it and asked what the green box was on the crag across from the summit.... turns out it as a box for bodies when people came off the crag in the olden days and now used to store emergency equipment. It's a great location dude, reminds me of good times!

Its deep but now very light down there... ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
(#7)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 13-08-2009, 23:37

did ya see any of this stuff m8 well worth a look if your up there again....good report+pics
(#8)
Old

Default 13-08-2009, 23:41

Is that top pic the adit at the top back, past the summit and down at the bottom of the first crag... what's it like inside?

(#9)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 13-08-2009, 23:54

its by that little reservoir with the wierd walkway going across it ...yehh i think its the first crag...i didnt venture in too far but it looked vast also full of dead sheep that had fallen in
(#10)
Old

Default 14-08-2009, 00:12

Re visit needed!