NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page Imperial Warehouses (crash Studios) - Liverpool - Oct 2010 -
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Imperial Warehouses (crash Studios) - Liverpool - Oct 2010 -
(#1)
Old
Super Moderator

Arrow Imperial Warehouses (crash Studios) - Liverpool - Oct 2010 - - 16-10-2010, 00:23

imperial warehouses was built in 1875 and was starting to look the worse for wear until 5 years ago when extensive restoration took place and put it back to its original condition.The first 3 years were very tough, both partners working 16 hour days 7 days a week. Reinvesting any money made back into the business, while trying to run the studio ( booking bands in / setting equipment up etc ), Mark and Jon carried out much building work and refurbishment as well. Without having any staff in the early years all aspects of running the business were down to them to do. From accounts through to cleaning the bogs, all for £25 per week each! Even today, both directors lead by example and get stuck into whatever is required.

Initially Crash rented part of the building. Then the building's owners decided they wanted to sell it as part of a bigger scheme. Faced with being moved on, drastic action had to be taken to secure their long term future. The Crash directors needed to pay double the valuation to enable them to own the building

Co-founders Mark Davies and Jon White opened Crash in 1987, having been in bands for several years prior to this.They brought band rehearsal practice out of the garage / church hall, into a more productive environment; more like that of the recording studio / venue performance like vibe.Crash is now legendary amongst bands and has been the backbone of the Liverpool music scene. As well as providing rehearsal space, Crash has helped and advised bands who have gone to become successful. Many have now become world famous acts. The studio has gained a great reputation from major record labels and management companies as a source for discovering Liverpool's up and coming bands.

client list include ,atomic kitten,echo and the bunny men,the farm, and the zutons to name a few

info taken from the website

http://www.crashstudios.co.uk/index.html

the film 51st state was also filmed in this alley where the studio is yrs ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTtD5Ngcltc... the scene is at 2.47

visiting m8s rehearsing and asked for permission to go round and photograph the place and was allowed

originally i thought this was an old tobacco warehouse but it turns out it was an old fruit one.As said in the history its all converted but some features remain if you look closely.

visited with kevsy21 and the yorkshire ripper

this is the first scene in the alley way chase in the film

this is the top were both cars burst out of the alley but in the film where they come out is the bascule bridge and stanley dock area ??? if you wasnt from liverpool youd be none the wiser...its actually dale street where there supposed to fly out onto

anyway enough of that the film really wasnt that good anyway

theres not much really to see with most of the large open space converted into rehearsal rooms these stairs were a nice touch though small and spiral they were a nightmare to get gear up these when i used to practise here

an original external lift door still remains on all floors

in some of the storage rooms you can make out little bits that havent been covered up this window was interesting

a big old steel door rests against the wall

bottom floor conversion

some more of the storage rooms with brick work showing

one of the original fire escapes

more steel doors

basement conversion

a typical room although the differ in size but they all have the original supports in them

other things i snapped whilst there

(#2)
Old
admin

Default 16-10-2010, 11:00

Nice work, some cool shots there

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
(#3)
Old

Default 16-10-2010, 13:43

Great stuff Georgie. Brought back loads of memories.

I used to rehearse there back in the day, 4 hours a day, 4 days a week for about 3 years. Used to know Mark (still have a mullet?) and Jon quite well. Met loads of people and bands there too, including Kylie Minogue, Lou Reed, and wait for it, Wet Wet Wet. Well I didn't actually meet Kylie, she walked past me in the corridor.

And I remember breaking my finger between one of them cast iron stanchions and a 4x4 cab. Did you get up onto the top floor? I remember there's quite a big roof space. I also seem to recall that it was a boxing club for a while.

Happy days, thanks for this
(#4)
Old
Administrator

Default 16-10-2010, 19:58

Bloody hell Strat you sound like this fella!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBCnEh1zOGg

Cracking pics btw

Egregious!
(#5)
Old

Default 16-10-2010, 20:03

likewise a few mates rehearsed in there in the late 90s as well , the mullet one lived in west kirby i recall plus the boxing ring on the top floor was still there then.

We used several of the rooms and managed to fill the big one down stairs with smoke !! we where into the swans and butthole surfers so a fire on stage was always de rigure !!! despite blowing the PA they still let us come back !!!

Perhaps you should try and see the studio on dale street above the health store. All wooden interior i believe for the authentic retro sound.

cheers

pace

the revolution will not be motorised......
(#6)
Old
Blackinese

Default 17-10-2010, 00:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
anyway enough of that the film really wasnt that good anyway
You've clearly forgotten the part where Meatloaf EXPLODES.

My band's rehearsal space in Sheffield is of very similar set-up. They even have a boxing club in there too!

Was looking at booking some time here a while back, so these pictures are of excellent use to me!

Nice one.

Smoke dope. Worship Satan.
My Manchester
(#7)
Old

Default 18-10-2010, 18:13

those external shot are fantasic mate

Believing in a better world, where chickens can cross the road without there motives being questioned
(#8)
Old
Just say NO

Default 19-10-2010, 09:37

Yeah, I love them too. There's a similar narrow alley in Liverpool with an abandoned café on it. Sallybear has some pics.

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010