NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Military Sites
Reload this Page HMS Ringtail / RNAS Burscough
Military Sites Bunkers, Pillboxes, Forts, Airfields and all ROC & cold war related stuff goes here.

HMS Ringtail / RNAS Burscough
(#1)
Old

Default HMS Ringtail / RNAS Burscough - 02-06-2011, 02:36

No BHQ but a standby set house that is worth some time:

Last edited by tigger; 15-06-2012 at 17:17.
(#2)
Old
Super Moderator

Default 02-06-2011, 02:42

what is this?

this is hms ringtail/burscough

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8203
(#3)
Old

Default 02-06-2011, 09:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgie View Post
what is this?
Georgie, there is far more to see at Ringtail than the group of four S-type hangars that everyone seems to photograph (including me, several times over the past 30 years!). The standby set house I photographed yesterday is on the airfield technical site. Up until recently there were several more buildings near it but they are now rubble. Other buildings still dotted about amongst the industrial estates so still worth a wander.

Off up to Cumbria today for more BHQ-goodness but I'll see if I can dig out some older stuff from Ringtail (more technical site, the hangars from the North side and the bomb store).

The area where the BHQ was is also about to be re-developed, though it was actually levelled years ago.
(#4)
Old
is a 'member'

Default 02-06-2011, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger View Post
Georgie, there is far more to see at Ringtail than the group of four S-type hangars that everyone seems to photograph (including me, several times over the past 30 years!). The standby set house I photographed yesterday is on the airfield technical site. Up until recently there were several more buildings near it but they are now rubble. Other buildings still dotted about amongst the industrial estates so still worth a wander.

Off up to Cumbria today for more BHQ-goodness but I'll see if I can dig out some older stuff from Ringtail (more technical site, the hangars from the North side and the bomb store).

The area where the BHQ was is also about to be re-developed, though it was actually levelled years ago.
The most interesting part of this site is near the houses on the East side, a semi-submerged building in the undergrowth near the houses. Still have no idea what it is.

Also to the North West, a military style building on the wrong side of the canal.

Next time your here tigger, give me a shout, I only live 2 minutes away

"Try again.......Fail again.......Fail Better!".............Samual Beckett.....
(#5)
Old

Default 02-06-2011, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom83 View Post
The most interesting part of this site is near the houses on the East side, a semi-submerged building in the undergrowth near the houses. Still have no idea what it is.
That was the Protected Communications Building. It is now a pile of rebar and ground up rubble :(

Last edited by tigger; 15-06-2012 at 17:28.