NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Industrial & Commercial
Reload this Page DEMOLISHED: Bradshaw Works, Bolton
Industrial & Commercial Mills, Foundries, Factories, Warehouses, Docks etc.

Closed Thread

DEMOLISHED: Bradshaw Works, Bolton
(#1)
Old
Administrator

Default DEMOLISHED: Bradshaw Works, Bolton - 18-10-2008, 14:13

Posting up the links to the old Preston Docks pictures reminded me of how I started doing this nonsense many years ago. I grew up in the north of Bolton, and just down the road from me was a massive old Bleachworks. It had been in a steady state of decay since it shut in 1963, and had been split up into various industrial units, but by the late 80's came along, it was falling down, and with the sky high house prices in north bolton, this huge piece of land was very valuable.
Most people presumed Fred Dibnah was going to drop the massive chimney (he was still only really known locally in those days) but for some reason the contract was given to some cowboys who used explosives. They promptly dropped it in the wrong direction and flattened the ancient entrance porch to Bradshaw Hall. Thankfully the developers rebuilt it!

These were taken in 1989 / 1990 (no exif data to check!!) when they'd just started to clear the site. I didn't take any internals - I think I rode down on my bike and didn't want to leave it lying around.

Mechanics Shop, attached to the Joiners Shop (left). Large numbers of men were employed on Works Maintenance - prior to WW2, of the 500-700 employees, 80 were involved in maintenance.

Three storey Stenter Building of 1871. The boilers were originally in the basement. I think either this or the Printing and Steaming building were rebuilt due to their poor condition.

The huge building at the end was built in 1963 at a cost of £100000 and printing machines were installed. However, the bleachworks closed just a few weeks later. I think it was this building that was used for many years by Coleman Milne Limosuines.

Printing and steaming

Printing and steaming.

Much of the foreground was cleared of buildings in the 1960's. The buildings here were the Making Up, Stitching & Damping Room, and the Colour and Roller Store
Closed Thread