NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Asylums & Hospitals
Reload this Page Barnes Hospital, Cheadle - December 2010
Asylums & Hospitals Pretty self explanatory this one.

Barnes Hospital, Cheadle - December 2010
(#1)
Old

Default Barnes Hospital, Cheadle - December 2010 - 30-12-2010, 19:46

Barnes had been suggested as a nice easy explore, so I managed to persuade a couple of friends from Yorkshire to head over the Pennines to come with me. This was the 1st explore of 3 we managed today. The others were St Thomas', Stockport and Bailey Mill, Oldham.

We got to Barnes at 9am, and there was an eerie mist all around. A security guard was sat by the main gate in his car, but looked too warm to get out.

Little is left of Barnes - it's pretty much just a shell - so we only stayed there for about an hour before moving on.

My tripod has ended up in Newcastle after my friend forgot to remove it from her car boot, so didn't have as much control over dark shots.

Here we go...

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by sneak; 02-03-2011 at 00:33.
(#2)
Old

Default 30-12-2010, 20:11

would be really nice to get converted to apartments or something, though I guess its less than prime location scares off the developers
(#3)
Old

Default 10-01-2011, 21:34

Did this one myself only recently, Not a bad little mooch well done mate
(#4)
Old

Default 11-01-2011, 10:24

nice work mate, i like it

Believing in a better world, where chickens can cross the road without there motives being questioned
(#5)
Old

Default 11-01-2011, 13:34

That looks a rather nice building, as previously said ripe for developing... what's wrong with the area?

Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality.
(#6)
Old
AKA Professor Brian Cox

Default 11-01-2011, 14:20

It is nestled in the slip roads for the motorways.
(#7)
Old

Default 11-01-2011, 15:24

I read an article that it had been sold to a development company a few years ago, but they are still to do anything with it. I'd see the slip roads as good transport links. It's quiet enough when there, and surrounded by a lot of trees, then other housing estates. Can't see the problem myself. I'd live there (well if it wasn't for the fact that loads of old people died there maybe).
(#8)
Old

Default 01-02-2011, 21:29

the clocktower is the real attraction, i'm glad I got there before the ladder was removed!
I could never work out the red railings in that corridor - it blocks an entrance on the first floor so you would st inside and be trapped!
Shell though it is - it's still a gorgeous building!
There are some nice shots in this explore!
(#9)
Old

Default 03-02-2011, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC14 View Post
I read an article that it had been sold to a development company a few years ago, but they are still to do anything with it. I'd see the slip roads as good transport links. It's quiet enough when there, and surrounded by a lot of trees, then other housing estates. Can't see the problem myself. I'd live there (well if it wasn't for the fact that loads of old people died there maybe).

Dont think many people went there to die as it was a convalescing hospital. One member on this forum had a friend who was there for over a year i think and was one of the first people in when it got closed down. He said it was one of the funniest things to watch as the security guard booted a door down to let them in

http://www.flickr.com/photos/urb_edd/

1974 BBC Nuclear Wartime broadcast - "Remember there is nothing to be gained by trying to get away!"
(#10)
Old

Default 15-03-2011, 15:47

did the site have security when you went? drove past this today pulled into the little road that goes to it off the dual carriage way to be told by a security muppet to scarper.