NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Leisure & Other
Reload this Page Funky bar action | Cheetham Hill | July 2011
Leisure & Other Religious buildings, Swimming pools, Hotels, Railway related stuff.
Or any other places that don't seem to fit anywhere else!

Funky bar action | Cheetham Hill | July 2011
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Default Funky bar action | Cheetham Hill | July 2011 - 19-07-2011, 20:07

Just too damn funky not to post. The Polish Club in Cheetham Hill, like many, was set up in the aftermath of WWII as many exiled Poles had made their lives here and many more families were reconciled and joined them. You would think that following Poland joining the EU and the influx of Polish workers a few years ago that this place would have undergone something of a Renaissance. This is not the case, I think it ceased being the Polish Club about a year ago, maybe more, I stand to be corrected. At the moment it is being converted into a banquet hall for Asian weddings (these seem to be big business in C’Hill and Strangeways right now). I bumbled in on a tip off that there might be a 1960s interior and a massive wooden eagle, not knowing of the lack of Polish people or the active conversion which was in fairly early stages of strip out. The builders seemed only too happy to let me have a roam around and in the basement at the back I found what I was after…

All was cool on my permission granted trip until it turned out that the people who granted me permission didn’t have the right to do so. The site manager turned up and was very suspicious and then called the owner whose offices happened to be next door and he turned up with two other chaps in tow. Only two of this bunch were speaking in English and there was hurried and lively chatter between them about what I was up to. I managed to convince them of my innocent interest in 1960s interiors and showed them the photos I had taken. They seemed slightly bewildered and couldn’t really work out my angle on things, but ‘let me go’…. All very entertaining.

Photograph from Manchester Local Image Collection

Exterior now. The extension is probably contemporary to that at the back.

Restaurant sign

Timber lining and switches

Funky bar

Funky wallpaper behind funky bar

View from funky bar

Funky curtains next to funky bar

Handle

Funky bar from afar

Sadly the massive 1960s wooden eagle had been removed about 12 months ago.

peace
NMB

photos here too
(#2)
Old
admin

Default 19-07-2011, 20:18

Looks good does this one

....Take pictures and leave ONLY
(#3)
Old
Just say NO

Default 20-07-2011, 07:56

Digging that retro bar!

"WTF FOOKITY FOOK" - AndyJ 2010
(#4)
Old

Default 20-07-2011, 12:12

Sounds like a fun visit
(#5)
Old
cool as cobs.

Default 21-07-2011, 19:26

Brill! Wyborowa actually means 'sniper', wonder who came up with that!

Me Flickr | Ma webshite
"The worse outcome would be it turning into a 450D - my groaning "noooooooo" will echo over Manchester, causing cotton spinning oasis lovers to spit out their chip barm's." - Thompski 2009
(#6)
Old
Donuts-я-Us

Default 23-07-2011, 20:28

nice! I was always getting called out to this place years back when I worked on the recovery trucks, I suspect most breakdowns were 'intentionally knobbled' so the owner could get a free ride home without driving