NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > High Places
Reload this Page Buxton Opera House - Sept 2012
High Places Cranes, Rooftops, Chimneys, Towers, Masts, Silos etc.

Buxton Opera House - Sept 2012
(#1)
Old

Default Buxton Opera House - Sept 2012 - 15-09-2012, 09:11

I've been looking at this for a while and decided that as there was a Pink Floyd tribute act on called Think Floyd that I'd had a nosey and see what was what

Quote:
It was built in 1903 and designed by Frank Matcham, one of Britain's finest theatre architects. He also designed two famous London theatres: the London Palladium (1910) and the London Coliseum (1904).
The Opera House ran as a successful theatre, receiving touring companies until 1927, when it was turned into a cinema. Silent films were shown until 1932 when the theatre was wired for sound and could present ‘talkies’. The Opera House also became the venue for an annual summer theatre festival from 1936 to 1942, two of them in conjunction with Lillian Bayliss and her London-based Old Vic company. After the Second World War, the theatre continued to serve as a cinema, gradually falling into disrepair until it was closed in 1976 and renovated in 1979.
Since then, the Opera House has been a full-time venue for stage productions, presenting approximately 450 performances per year, including opera, dance, musical theatre, pantomime, comedy, drama, children’s shows and concerts. The theatre is staffed by a small full-time technical crew for all the backstage work, setting up all the shows and artists that appear. Volunteers from the local community are also employed for front-of-house duties including bar work and ushers.
I was sat on the roof to the left of this pic for about an hour listening and I've got to say there pretty good for a tribute act and the sound where I was sat was top notch

The view over the Pavilion Gardens

Stacked pic

And the band that were playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsYmwyXwKkQ