Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Sleepless in Seattle (day 6) - April 09
Rest of the World Sites outside the UK.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Sleepless in Seattle (day 6) - April 09
(#1)
Old
Utility Company Rep.

Arrow ARCHIVE: Sleepless in Seattle (day 6) - April 09 - 06-04-2009, 07:05

Last post from these shores. Bit more industrial stuff today, but strangely enough all located in municipal parks.

First up was Volunteer Park designed by the Olmsted Brothers, who also did Central Park in New York, amongst 3,500 landscape projects in the US and Canada. http://www.olmsted.org/

Great masonry water tower open to the public and you can climb to the top between the outer skin and the tank wall. It sits adjacent a small reservoir and pumphouse, all planned in a classicist manner.

Finally, Gas Works Park; it does what it says on the tin.

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/park_detail.asp?id=293

So, here instead of demolition or heavy security, they have left the works to decay in public. I think at one time they were completely open, but litigation has meant that they have had to fence off the majority of equipment. Some though is clustered together under cover for children to climb and play on. There is an easy way in, but I've had such a good week that on the last day I didn't want to push it...just be happy with what we've got, have a few beers and chill in the sunshine.

water tower, Volunteer Park

climbing the tower

I think this is the plug hole!

plan of tower and reservoir

reservoir

pumphouse

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park

Gas Works Park

peace