NorthWest Exploration Forum  
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Go Back   NorthWest Exploration Forum > Site Reports > Rest of the World
Reload this Page ARCHIVE: Taverna Tarnasas, Skiathos Island, Greece.
Rest of the World Sites outside the UK.

Closed Thread

ARCHIVE: Taverna Tarnasas, Skiathos Island, Greece.
(#1)
Old
the bird is the word

Default ARCHIVE: Taverna Tarnasas, Skiathos Island, Greece. - 07-03-2010, 21:12

I have been to Greece many times over the last 23 years and although I normally prefer to travel around, after coming across the island of Skiathos I have not really been anywhere else. Despite now having family living there I normally stay in a place half way down the island that requires the use of the sea taxi to get into town in the evenings. Just before entering the picturesque harbour, the taxi rounds lover’s point and just sitting there is a beautiful building and a tiny little beach. I have tried many a time over the last five years to find this place, but have been unlucky until 2009 when I literally stumbled down to it by accident on my way somewhere else.

So anyway it turns out that this building used to be a lovely little taverna called Tarsanas. It boasts a unique location just before the hustle and bustle of town, and once used to be a boat yard where the local fisherman took their quaint little painted fishing boats to be repaired and maintained. The boatyard owner passed away in the early eighties and his family seeing the opportunities that tourism provided decided to turn the place into a taverna. Situated on a small beach on the border of the old part of town, it has a fantastic view of the sea and could be visited by foot if you could find it, or by boat to the little beach. It was a busy place until early 2000 when it closed down. Since then is remains in need of extensive renovation but one thing the Greeks are not afraid of. If I had the money, I would buy it and make a great place to live out of it. But we can all dream.

First view of the place as the boat rounds lover’s point

View back into town on my walk which ended up in finding the place

Small fixer-upper I cam across on my travels, has seen better days but still worth a nosy

I realized I must have been on the right track when I came across this sign

Old storerooms or accommodation at the back

A few unwanted chairs

Main dining room leading out onto the balcony

Small beach now used for the odd local boat

Ground level entrance

Bougainvillea covered old fridges

Little Sallybear in a mood at yet another of her mothers ‘scenic’ detours when she is in her flip flops and just wants a milkshake

Typical Greek island picture, taken once back in town as you come through the fish market

I am a serious fan, I have the kaleidoscope
Closed Thread